Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pie... I Like Pie!

Learned nearly 18 years ago ...

This is a simple missive, discovered years ago when trying to keep a fantabulous homemade apple pie, created from my mothers recipe, from bubbling into the bottom of my oven as it cooked.  (I do promise to post the recipe at some point in the not too far future.) 

I took this glorious creation, with it's gorgeous and fluted crust mounded several inches higher than the rim of the funky blue pie plate, and set it in the oven and realized that as the apples baked and bubbled in their sweet and cinnamony sauce it would bubble over.  I grabbed the first baking sheet to hand - actually a jelly roll pan - and put the unbaked pie on it in the oven.  It just so happened to be a black t-fal baking sheet. 

Roughly an hour later, I removed my beautiful and steaming pie from the oven and set it upon its trivet to cool.  The baking sheet was removed, and soaked to remove the sticky sweet, apple-y goodness that had bubbled out and baked to it. 

When I finally cut into that pie, I discovered the greatest pie baking lesson ever learned: Bake a filled pie on a black baking sheet, and you'll get a well cooked and even flaky bottom crust!  Oh My Goodness what a delight this was!  Pumpkin pie! Blueberry pie! Cherry pie!  There is no end to the mouth watering awesomeness that is a filled pie baked on a black baking sheet. 

I swear, it will be the best $15 ever spent when it comes to pie baking!  Try it out on your next filled pie and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had a Tfal baking sheet, but I'm going to get one now. Apple pie - just the thought of it tickles me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make it sound soooo good! We're waiting for that recipe now.

    ReplyDelete