Thursday, August 30, 2012

Restoring My Faith in Humanity

Though this has been a crazy time at work, hence my continued absence on here, I absolutely had to steal a couple of minutes to write about this.

As you may recall, I work in an institution of higher education.  Last week a student experienced an unfortunate experience through no fault of her own resulting in her schedule being deleted.  I helped her out in restoring this schedule, which included coordinating with several different offices.  A lot of jumping through hoops, but It’s what we would do for any student who had this experience.  Most students’ barely even say thank you, so when she thanked me very nicely and hung up the phone after our third or fourth phone call, I didn’t think anything about it and went on with my work.

5 or 6 days later, on the second day of the term, the student came to my office and gave me a beautiful bouquet of yellow roses along with her sincerest thanks for helping her.   I was practically in tears!  No one thanks our office – we are habitually abused by students, faculty, staff, parents, and more.  I can’t even express how grateful I was for the simple smile and thank you.  The roses were just over the top kind of her.
(First day)

It’s those little moments that help restore our knowledge that we aren’t in fact the mean people that our jobs sometimes require.  And more, it’s those little kindnesses that remind us to have a little faith in humanity – there really are kind and conscientious people in the world! J

(And now they have opened up!  What a beautiful site to see each morning this week!)

1 comment:

  1. The flowers are just beautiful! I know you deserve them too. If all your people read your blog you would get flowers every day because then they would know you better and see what a good person you are.

    ReplyDelete