Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Dessert Love Affair

I admit it.  I have a love affair with Carrot Cake.  But sometimes I rush headlong into cooking before checking my ingredients supply. 
The first time I made carrot cake this way was a simple accident.  I was dead set to make a carrot cake and feeling confident that my pantry would always have enough flour considering how much I like to bake did not look before I started shredding carrots and cracking eggs.  When I reached for the flour, I found my canister only had about a cup of the standard unbleached flour that was a staple.  I drummed my fingers and considered my options.  An hour round trip drive to town and back to buy a $3 bag of flour, or wing it: Of course I chose to wing it! 

All Time Best Carrot Cake

4 Large eggs
1 ¼ cup applesauce with cinnamon
2 cups of white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups of oat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 ½ cups finely grated carrots
1 chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 F, and spray a thin layer of Baker’s Secret in a 9x13 baking dish.  (Or grease and flour liberally.) 

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, applesauce, sugar and vanilla.  Mix in the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Fold in carrots and nuts then pour into the prepared baking dish.  Bake for approximately 45 – 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, something new for me to try, and I can hardly wait! I'm so glad you're back, I thought you had forgotten us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the sugar what is there 2 tsp of? I have to bake this !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for catching that! I must have been in one heck of a hurry to forget the vanilla extract :)

    ReplyDelete