Saturday, July 14, 2012

Vegan Queso

Who knew that vegan - or nearly vegan - queso could be so easy?!  The vegans of course - but as I'm not one, I just learned this little factoid today 

We did errands, farmers market, health food store, etc.  I picked up nutritional yeast and rice flour, planning on trying it because the vegan queso that I *can* have (no dairy at all) costs $5 for a pint jar.  Screw that, says I! 

Once home, and the edge taken off my hunger with a sandwich that definitely contained some meat, to the kitchen I returned to try my hand at this.  Oh Holy Goats it's awesome!

Into a dry cool saucepan went 1/4 cup rice flour, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 6 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast.  Then a cup and a half of goat milk (see - this is why it's not vegan - all the recipes actually call for water!) and whisk together, then put over medium to medium high heat until it simmers and gets thick. 

A taste test gave proof that it was indeed like a cheese sauce, but I wanted a smokey kick... in goes 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder and voila!



OH NOM!!!  And SO CHEAP and FAST!!! 

1 comment: