Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Eerie Animal Moments

Perhaps it was prescience on the part of the animals that made them do it, just to unnerve us as they will undoubtedly be unnerved tomorrow evening.  Perhaps it was just a fluke.  Either way, this morning I fervently wished (30 minutes later!) that I had the camera in hand when I opened the back door to let the dogs out, and what greeted my eyes was a scene I’d never witnessed before.

Over half of our chicken flock was spread out in a long line along the fence bordering the back yard, all facing the back yard and not making a move or a sound.  I found this a little bit eerie.  This followed the first day in more than 20 months that not a single bird in our flock of 21 hens laid a single egg.  Something is definitely going on here.

Even the donkeys and goats were arrayed very quietly and barely made a sound. No donkey brays rent the morning air, nor did even a quiet bleat from a goat disturb the dawn.  It was very strange indeed.   My husband went out to feed and milk while I took care of the indoors events, and upon his return to the house said that they all quietly followed him into the barn.  Whatever spell was upon them dissipated when he tossed their scratch grains out. 

I’m a firm believer that our animals do communicate quite clearly if we pay attention to them.  They are far more honest than people ever will be, and something was up that had every farm inhabitant in a somber mood this morning. 

If only we could figure out what it was.

2 comments:

  1. How strange! Especially the chickens, I would guess. Did you take any pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wished the camera was near the back door. Having it with me at all times is a necessity that I'm learning the hard way. :)

    ReplyDelete