Friday, October 26, 2012

Recovering Ramblings

Fall has arrived with a vengence and the vacation I had so longed for, which launched with my birthday, was absorpbed with my having strep-throat.  The last thing you want to do when you feel that bad is ... well... anything.  Poor hubby took on the lions share of everything for the last several days, and I didn't want to breathe it hurt so much.   

We had a few adventures during the week, despite the challenge of illness.  Penelope, the now year and a half old donkey, broke down part of the fence between the pasture and the back yard and let herself and Chester in for back yard grazings.  We ran them out and patched up the fence, and are more than ever looking forward to putting in a gate over there. 

One day, while still terribly sick, Jackson (my oldest daughters little dog) managed to find a chicken waterer and get his entire head stuck in it, and hid under the deck.  I have no idea how long he was trapped, but upon discovering this I donned pants, boots, long sleeves and a leash and crawled under the deck to retrieve him.   He had been trapped long enough that he was saturated with slobber, and the waterer had to be essentially unscrewed from his head.  Poor Jackson panted for what seemed like a very long time after his release, and drank a little water before collapsing with Abby and his sister Cami for a two hour nap.  (Fine by me - I curled up in the recliner and slept too.)  He seems ok now, though he does want to stay inside a bit more than before. 

Now, autumn has hit quite fast and that means the weather has been perfect for all sorts of out door projects - which we need to accomplish before winter truly arrives.  Now that I'm on the road to recovery, though not fully back to myself, I'm already trying to figure out how to fit in all the things I didn't get done over the "vacation."

For now, one step at a time. The trough is clean, and the storage bench has been painted with primer.  Next - well, whatever small thing we can accomplish.  I'll take that :)

1 comment:

  1. What an awful way to spend your vacation! And what a time to have crisis with your animals! I am a little selfish, but I'm glad you're back and writing again. I learn so much from you. I wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete