Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chicken Tractor

No, not "Chicken Truck" for any Mel McDaniel fans out there.   
This is for my beautiful friend Colleen, who now has the coolest chicken tractor in town as far as I’m concerned!  (My husband and son and I built it, so I can say that.) 

Except for the roof, the structure is made of reclaimed materials.  A fort that my husband dismantled and got the wood for free… pallets that we got for free… and an old porch swing of mine that I no longer had a place for (and it was falling apart in some ways.) 

We dismantled pallets.


We built the base and the nesting box.






We put that all up on legs / frame and added more walls.





Then we took it to her house, which is also the home of 3 little hens.


And we hung the doors and added the roof.  No, we added two. (The laying box has it's own roof to make it easy to get the eggs.)


Then their run was attached.

And last she’s fencing it in. 

The only thing left is to add wheels and roofing tiles, paint it white and make it cute!  The girls are safely protected, it’s mobile (once the wheels are added) and easy to maintain.  A little inspiration can go a long way!

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's interesting. You must be good at everything! It was nice of you to make that for your friend, not many people would, I think.

    ReplyDelete