Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Roosters -

I have learned something about roosters - they older they get, the meaner they get.  My once pet-able and handle-able rooster HotShot has gotten progressively more evil in the past six months, and while some transgressions I can overlook others are far beyond acceptable.

He chases the other animals around, and only the donkeys fight back enough that he doesn't bother them. Ok, and my husband. HotShot doesn't bother Bill too much.

He attacked one of our new ducks, and while the duck will survive with limited damage that's still not a trait that we want to have in the barn yard.  Then... well, he attacked me.  I only had a scratch or two, as I was quick to hide behind a donkey.  (Yes... picture it - I'm no small woman hiding behind a donkey FROM A BIRD!!!)

Then... the little son-of-a-gun attacked one of my daughters.  She has multiple punctures, one of which bled for more than 3 hours.  She only walked into the barnyard, and he full out attacked her puncturing her tall barn boots and her legs.  She's got an infection going on in the wounds, and a round of antibiotics.  Thank goodness she is up to date on her tetanus vaccinations.

The poor hens are so abused by him now that some are sporting cuts on their backs from how aggressive he is with them.

Sadly, I think the time has come that he becomes dinner.  I will not de-beak a rooster, as that is horrible abuse and while his spurs and toenails can be clipped it doesn't take away his agressiveness.  A few family members are wearing scars on our hands from where he has bitten us so deeply that the wounds are silver scars to remember forever.

We have a friend with several young roosters, most with mild temperments.  She has offered our pick of the lot, and we'll start fresh.  We will doctor our new little duck until he (or she) is healed, and go on...

These are the rough days.

No comments:

Post a Comment