Monday, November 5, 2012

The Milk Maids Hands

The milk maid’s hands were always the softest hands, because of the alpha hydroxy acids present in the goat milk that inevitably got on their hands during milking.  Unfortunately, this milk maid goes through a period of serious lizard-skin each autumn as cooler weather comes on, despite the daily use of my highly nourishing goat milk soap.

This weekend, inspiration came in a desperate need for some lotion while we were out and doing things away from the house, when I noticed the first stages of my annual reptilian autumnal state.  Luckily, my husband had a tube of hand lotion still in his car that I had left there in the springtime. 

Make no mistake, it’s wonderful stuff but I glanced at the price tag on the back and chided myself for ever paying that much for any sort of hand lotion.  I can make that, just like I can do soap, right?  Of course! 

But stabilizing this so it won’t go sour (or develop lots of nasty bacteria and mold) and spoil the lotion is a very big deal.  I knew it could be done but was lost on the how. 

So armed with determination and a lot of resources, I have done some homework.  Not only does it look like I will be able to make fabulous lotion, but the lotion will be far more natural than anything I can buy.  And with a minor consideration toward preservation, I can and will make goat milk lotion that is shelf stable.  This is delightfully exciting to me, and now I’m off to select my oils!

1 comment:

  1. If any one can do it I am sure you will be the one to do it. It must be so mych fun and so gratifying to make all your own products. Do you make your own shampoo too, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete