Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Priorities

The summer is starting off hot and lovely, and with that come all the plans and trying to prioritize what really needs to be done now, and what can wait a little while.  Bill and I agree that re-roofing the barn must be a top priority, as is moving the rest of the gravel and creating a better / more solid gravel floor in the barn.  (The silly chickens get in there and make hollows then dust bathe in the rock dust.  This creates great little pitfalls to twist an ankle in… ) 

Another project that will not take very much time is moving the ducks to a small pen with some grass!  This will be located in the back yard, and well fenced off from the dogs.  And it will have its own real gate with hinges!  I know that sounds silly to be excited about, but their temporary pen has a fence that has to be unclipped and re-clipped every time we go in and out.  They should also really have a cooler shelter – the dogloo is doing an ok job, but I want something prettier to look at this time! 

The third priority project for the summer is building a picnic table for the back yard.  Not just any picnic table, but one that I was inspired to build after seeing a really cool one with an inset tray down the center that can be filled with ice to keep water, iced tea, beer, wine, etc. cold while serving!  YAY!!

Oohh... and another I hope to accomplish - but am afraid of calling it a priority because then I set too many priorities and none will get done - is finally building the planting beds that didn't get built this year.  If I get them built soon, then they can compost over fall and winter and in spring we just till, plant and water.  (Drip lines are going to be mandatory though... *sigh*)  I have this plan in my head for how to do it with some of the scrap lumber we have.  Now if only the plans in my head can translate to reality!

Those little things like making functional still at least pleasing (for me that’s often rustic) that make a difference in how I perceive our farm.  One of these years, I’ll get around to planting more flowers too.  I won't call that one a priority either, just so that maybe it really will happen!

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry I was gone so long. I broke my arm Ive been reading but not able to comment. I wish you would write a book, I would be the first to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JB, I'm so sorry you are injured! It's good to hear from you though and thank you for sticking with me on this little journey! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete