Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Who would have thought?


As I make rather regular posts on Facebook about what’s going on with our little farm, and the successes and failures of various projects (I will refrain from doing more than mentioning briefly how evil is the making process for mozzarella cheese), it never once occurred to me that someone may be inspired by some of what I do. 
My old friend Cathy, from way back in high school and I reconnected via Facebook – like it happens, right? – and it turns out she and her family have a little farm outside of our hometown where they have raised pigs and Kiko goats.  (Here I digress and admit open jealousy of the fertility of the soil up there!)  After remarking last night that I was finally cooking dinner and stated what we were having - piccolini with homemade pesto, chicken breasts with homemade goat milk mozzarella cheese and a garlic basil sauce and a salad in case you were interested – she said she wanted to come to my house for dinner.  It’s a nice compliment, and I joked that she would feel right at home helping to feed and milk, etc.  Her next statement just floored me:

Milking may be an issue (we don't have milk goats...yet) but knowing me I will work on it. Right now we are expanding our poultry and birds. Hopefully, we will get our peachicks in a few weeks. I have thought about getting a milk goat to be able to make and sell my own soap---you have inspired me to think outside of the box about my farm and what I can produce!

I always wanted to work with animals, and have made that a reality even if it’s just in the form of a hobby farm.  Someday, hopefully, it will be more than a hobby.  One of the best compliments (aside from “Wow, you smell fantastic!” of course) is “You’re a farmer.”  It's still a compliment when the speaker says it more as a question, and with the expression of a puzzled beagle.

But – a farmer who inspired someone else to expand their own horizons?  That’s pretty damned awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment